Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Tile Coasters




From the moment I saw this DIY tutorial, I wanted to try it out for myself!!!  I did one set for me and one set for my mom for her birthday.  I think they turned out really cute!  They are pretty inexpensive, can send any message you'd like, and are quite fun to make.


I started out by tracing the tile onto scrapbook paper and cutting the paper out.

Next, I mod-podged the paper down (putting a layer of mod-podge directly on the tile, placed the paper onto the tile, and placed mod-podge on top).  

I wanted these to be fun and full of life (like my mom) so I added sparkles in the mod-podge.

After allowing the mod-podge to dry and doing 1-2 more layers, I used some puff paint to just add some details and then used a laqure spray paint to seal them.  (2-4 coats of this stuff just to be safe)

After they dried overnight, I added the felt pieces to the bottom to prevent scratches.

While looking at scrapbook paper, I found these awesome stickers and decided to make a coaster set for myself.  I didn't want to go through the trouble of finding a background for these guys so I made them super simple.

I still had one sheet of my mustache scrapbook paper, so I decided to label what each of the mustache stickers were.  I could have done a much better job with this, but this was my first trial (before the coasters for my mom).


I labeled each one with a sharpie paint pen and then lacquered each tile 2-3 times, allowing them to completely dry over night.
Here is the set I created for my mom out of the scrapbook paper. I had to upload these last so it wouldn't spoil my mom's bday present!

No comments:

Post a Comment